Monday, August 5, 2013

Poems, Fall 2012-Summer 2013

I feel obliged to note hear that this is not all the poetry I have written in the past year; it's just all the poetry that isn't awful.  Also, despite the impression one might get, I don't actually spend every day pining for someone.  Most days, perhaps, but not every day.

***

I measure my life 
by the distance between our 
bodies, and lament.

***

No glass of frigid ice water 
No biting arctic wind 
Can free me from the thought of 
You or tame the fire within 
I am condemned -- my lust for 
You is my burning mortal sin

***

This is an age of cynicism
And polite society will not consent
To talk of love at first collision
Or really any profound sentiment
So I shall not say my heart is stolen,
Lost in an unexpected seizure
I’ll just say -- the lock is broken
And you could pocket it at your leisure.

***

In the long historical view
Prometheus gets the credit
For stealing fire from the heavens
But forget not her merit who
First put the flames beneath a spit
And called the product barbecue

No comments:

Post a Comment