Monday, August 5, 2013

Science fiction noir-snark

I work at the venerable firm of Laslow, Smythe, Smythe, Bulkemacher, and Fine, which gives me a certain amount of cachet in particular company, at the least to the degree one might expect given that my name is Drovinsky.   I shuffled a bit in my slightly ill-fitting vest and sport coat, which had been carefully chosen for a particularly avuncular look back in the days when I was a litigator.   I continue to affect it largely out of nostalgia; most of my recent clients probably wouldn't know the difference if I showed up as a cross-dressing Elvis impersonator. 

I enter Bulkemacher's office precisely 75 seconds before our appointed time, as certain that this fastidious devotion to punctuality will go unnoticed as I am that I would spend the first five minutes being chewed out for tardiness were it otherwise.  The secretary waves me in immediately.

“Ah, there you are.  We have a another matter that calls for your, eh, special sensibilities,” says Bulkemacher. 

As it happens, I don't have special sensibilities.  I had, however, had several years in which it was inadvisable to show myself in the more decent corners of the legal establishment, and thus had been especially motivated to familiarize myself with the sort of specialized knowledge, both jurisprudential and... otherwise... that would allow me to get my foot back in the door without having it broken off with extreme prejudice. 

“Yessir.  And who do I have the pleasure of representing today?”  I'm not resentful about this situation at all.  Or at least, no one could see to the contrary.  I had been more than a decent courtroom attorney at one time, after all.

“The clients are not actually here today.  You will have to go upstairs to meet them.  I believe they are Quarterbacks.”

Ah.  Could be worse, I suppose.  I had read a fair amount about Lllll!!ldz, though I had not previously worked with the species.  They lacked anything analogous to a larynx, instead communication by touch using a sort of Braille output on their pseudopods.  Group discussions inevitably involved a sort of huddle, hence their English moniker.  First contact had been a bit sketchy, as the human diplomats had naturally developed goosebumps when the Lllll!!dz explorers bespoke them.  Initially, it appeared that our unintended salutation of “Curses upon your and all your ancestors back to the spawning of dzl!ll!” would provoke a real interstellar incident, but cooler cerebral ganglia ultimately prevailed.  Relations had been fairly smooth since then, so I had to assume that the case was not in the domain of treaty obligations or other such weighty matters.  That, and the fact that I was unlikely to be entrusted with such things any time soon, special sensibilities or not.

“What sort of matter is this, sir?” I inquired.

“The message is a bit hazy... amateur hour over at the 'teletype' receiver station.  It would seem to a be a matter of inheritance,” burbled Bulkemacher.

“Inheritance?” I said, forgetting the “sir” in my incredulousness.  “The Llllll!!ldz reproduce through budding.  Is one of them going to disown his almost-clone-to-be?”

“Well, Drovinsky, I expect you will determine such details at your meeting this evening  Do stop Ms. Larrel's desk on the way out and she will see that the necessary travel funds are placed in your account.  Good day.”

Through a combination of force of will and good luck, I managed not to sputter as I exited his office.  A meeting upstairs this evening.  Ah, but perhaps I should clarify.  Being a partner, Bulkemacher's office was, of course, on the top floor.  “Upstairs,” in this case, meant up the Elevator, presumably because the Quarterbacks wished to meet in a more convivial gravity for them.  Which meant I had until this evening to catch a plane from New York to Florida, and then to ride up to orbit.  I confess, I have a sensitive stomach.  Turbulence on the plane is bad enough.  The elevator, as far as I am concerned, should merit hazard pay, perfect safety record be damned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment